Woman badly burned after passing gas during surgery, igniting laser

Posted at 10:01 AM, Nov 01, 2016
and last updated 2016-11-01 16:29:58-04

TOKYO, Japan — A woman who was undergoing an operation was seriously burned when she passed gas.

According to The Straits Times, the fire occurred at Tokyo Medical University Hospital on April 15.

The patient, who is in her 30s, was having an operation on her cervix.

During the surgery, she passed gas and the irradiation of the laser ignited it.

The fire burned most of her body, including her waist and legs, the Strait Times reports.

A committee of experts not affiliated with the hospital reviewed the case and released their report on Oct. 28.

According to the experts, there were no flammable materials in the operation room during the surgery and the equipment did not malfunction.

The Straits Times obtained the report which said:

“When the patient’s intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser, and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire.”