WOODS CROSS, Utah - The South Davis Metro Fire Department said faulty Christmas tree lights are likely to blame for a fire that killed an elderly Woods Cross couple.
Officials said 74-year-old Melba Mecham and 77-year-old Gary Mecham died after trying to put out the fire, likely from smoke inhalation.
Fire crews were called to the home near 2255 S. Sorrento Dr. in Woods Cross at about 10:30 p.m. Thursday.
Firefighters found the couple inside and brought them outside to medical crews who immediately started CPR to try to save them.
They later died at the hospital.
Investigators said the couple tried to use a fire extinguisher to put out the flames before firefighters arrived and were overcome by smoke.
Authorities said the fire caused about $50,000 in damage.