Carl Rubadue from Saucey Skillet Academy makes the ultimate comfort food, homemade mac and cheese, paired with delicious king crab meat.
King Crab Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 TBSP Unsalted Butter
- 1 tsp Garlic Fresh, peeled and minced
- ¼ Cup Onion, minced preferably a sweet onion like a Walla Walla
- ¼ Cup White Wine
- 1 tsp Vegetable Base
- 2 TBSP Flour
- 2 Cup Milk
- splash Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Oz Tomato Soup concentrate
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Oz Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- 2 Oz Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 Oz American cheese
- 2 Oz Medium Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 Lb Cooked Macaroni Noodle
- King crab meat
- In Sauce Pan, melt the butter and sauté the garlic and onion until the onion is sweet and translucent about 2 minutes
- Add the white wine and vegetable base, mix well. Bring to a boil and reduce the wine by ½ about 2 minutes
- Add the flour and stir to mix completely. Cook the roux 2 minutes
- Slowly add the cold milk in three different equal amounts while stirring constantly to create a smooth texture. Be sure the sauce is smooth before adding any more milk.
- Add tomato soup, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne. Mix well
- Add the cheeses, partial amounts at a time and stir to mix and melt.
- When macaroni noodle is cooked al dente, drain the water well. Add the cheese sauce and mix. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- If desired, place finished macaroni in a casserole dish, top with a little extra cheese of choice and place under a pre-heated broiler until the cheese is bubbly and brown.
To register for Carl's Food Truck 101 class, visit University of Utah's lifelong learning website.