Frantic 911 calls tell haunting tale before and after Sandy shooting

Posted at 4:20 PM, Jun 13, 2017
and last updated 2017-06-14 12:39:47-04

SANDY, Utah - A week after a tragic shooting in Sandy that left a mother and her youngest son dead, we're hearing the frantic and telling 911 calls from that day.

A memorial is now where the scene was covered in crime tape after several people witnessed a shooting in the middle of the Sandy street.

Those people called 911, desperate to help in any way they could.

Caller: "Oh my God."

Dispatch: "OK, stay on the phone with me, OK?"

Caller: "All these people are shot all over the street."

Dispatch: "I know."

Police say the shooter was Jeremy Patterson.

Officers say he shot and killed Memorez Rackley and her youngest son, 6-year-old Jase.

He also shot her older son, 11-year-old Myles, and the 8-year-old daughter of a woman who was trying to help Memorez get away.

Both are alive but in critical condition.

Caller: "There`s been a family shot inside her car."

Dispatch: "I understand."

Caller: "He pulled over a car and shot a kid I think."

Dispatch: "Is the little girl awake? Is she conscious?"

Caller: "She`s conscious."

Dispatch: "Is she breathing?"

Caller: "We need an ambulance."

Then some witnesses said they saw him shoot himself.

Caller: "He got out of his car and ran down and just started shooting through the passenger side window, killing them."

Dispatch: "Is that, that the guy that`s laying there on the ground that she says is dead or did somebody leave that was doing the shooting?"

Caller: "No that`s him in the gutter dead."

The 911 calls also reveal Rackley had called police three days before the shooting, at 2:30 in the morning.

"I don’t know quite what to do here. I have a gentleman that I have been seeing and in the last probably eight hours he’s been following me and he’s been, um, threatening me verbally via text," Rackley is heard saying to the dispatcher in one call.

She was speaking about the shooter, Jeremy Patterson.

"He followed me with my son in my car for an hour around Sandy and it’s just continual. He won’t stop," Rackley said to the dispatcher.

She knew he was dangerous.

Dispatch: "Were weapons involved or mentioned?"

Rackley: "Yes, they were mentioned. Nothing was shown."

Dispatch: "What kind?"

Rackley: "Uh, he said he had guns."

Rackley explored the ways she could protect herself and her kids, but at the time, she was worried about taking any action or having police step in.

"I worry if they go knock on his door it’s gonna…he’s going to come hunt me and my kids," Rackley said to the dispatcher.

Police recommended that she stay with some friends, but Rackley called again, saying he was now following her friends in an attempt to find her.

Dispatch: "I can understand how you’d be concerned about this and everything. We’re going to do everything we can to help you, OK?"

Rackley: "OK, thank you."

At that point, she gave police his phone number and they contacted him and told him Memorez wanted nothing to do with him. He said he understood and would stop contacting her, but we now know that's not what happened.

FOX 13's Dora Scheidell asked Sgt. Jason Nielsen with the Sandy Police Dept. if there is anything authorities could've done to prevent this tragedy.

"We do basically what people ask us to do. We can’t do anymore than what somebody needs or wants of their police department," Nielsen said.

However, hindsight is 20/20.

"If we had a crystal ball and could see the future, obviously everybody’s actions would’ve been lot different," Nielsen said.