Suspect in Springville stabbing in custody after SWAT responds in Midvale

Posted at 12:43 PM, Jan 14, 2018
and last updated 2018-01-15 18:15:18-05

MIDVALE – A suspect in an attempted homicide is in custody after a SWAT standoff that went on for several hours in Midvale Sunday.

Residents in the area of 8200 South 245 West were asked to shelter in place as SWAT responded Sunday morning, and around 2:25 p.m. police confirmed the suspect is in custody.

“Once we discovered the suspect was in the home, we learned he was barricading himself in and he had threatened to not come out,” Salt Lake County Sheriff Rosie Rivera said. “He wanted police to shoot him.”

Authorities provided a booking photo of the suspect, identified as Andrew Revan Holloway, from a previous arrest. Authorities say he has numerous prior arrests.

Residents who were asked to remain in their homes are now free to move about as normal.

According to Unified Police, they believe the suspect was involved earlier in a stabbing around 6:10 a.m. in Springville and fled the scene. They located his vehicle parked in front of a church at 8200 South 245 West and proceeded to call in a K9 unit and SWAT team.

The church was originally under lockdown, but after police secured the scene people inside were released to return home.

Police negotiators and members of the suspect’s family tried to encourage him to come out peacefully. They believed he was armed and dangerous.

“Negotiations were working for a little while,” Sheriff Rivera said. “We did have some family members on scene. However, he stopped communication and that’s when we had to use some tactical devices to encourage him to come out.”

Sheriff Rivera said the suspect suffered a bite wound from a K9 during the arrest, but the wound is not serious. The suspect was taken to a hospital for treatment.

“Whenever we call out our tactical team, we never know what direction it’s going to go in,” Sheriff Rivera said. “Whenever we can apprehend somebody safely, that makes us feel good about our tactics.”

Fox 13 spoke with Lt. Foster Warren with the Springville Police Department, who told us the name of the suspect is Andrew Holloway. They say Holloway stabbed a Springville man multiple times in the face and head, and once in the chest, before escaping.

Lt. Warren says the dispute began Saturday night around 10:45 p.m. in Springville when they received a call from a woman stating her ex-boyfriend, Andrew Holloway, was chasing her and her boyfriend as they drove towards their house.

Springville police say they believed Holloway later slashed the tires and broke the windows of the current boyfriend’s truck. When police arrived he had already fled, however they discovered that he had violated a protective order against the female victim.

Sunday morning around 6:00 a.m. the woman told police that, after locking all the doors the night prior, someone was in the home. The male victim went to confront Holloway when he was stabbed repeatedly in the ensuing fight.

Springville police believe that Holloway forced his entry into the home.

While police were en route they say they received a report of the victim being stabbed repeatedly.

The male victim was transported to a hospital with serious stab wounds, it is unknown if they were life-threatening.

The male victim’s wounds to his face required stitches, said Lt. Warren.

Police say the male victim wrestled away the knife during the fight, that’s when Holloway fled the scene. Police confirm that they have acquired the knife as evidence.