NewsLocal News


Truck full of asphalt catches fire in North Salt Lake

Posted at 10:59 AM, Apr 30, 2019
and last updated 2019-04-30 20:19:22-04

NORTH SALT LAKE, Utah — A vehicle fire forced South Davis Metro Fire officials to close part of Main St. in North Salt Lake Tuesday morning.

Chief Jeff Bassett of SDMFA said the fire occurred shortly after 9:30 at a self-storage facility at 1055 N Main St.

The vehicle involved in the fire was an asphalt truck, which was at the scene for parking lot repairs. According to Bassett, all of the asphalt in the truck caught on fire.

FOX 13 viewer Emanuel Chavez captured video of the asphalt truck fire, and some popping noises can be heard in the footage.

“With all the bombings that have been going on nationwide and around the world that was my very first thought was like oh no someone`s bombing something,” Chavez said.

Bassett said those noises were likely caused by the truck's tires exploding but noted there were also some gas cans and propane tanks in the back of the vehicle.

The vehicle itself is equipped with a flame to keep the asphalt hot, but it’s unclear what caused the flame to erupt the way it did.

“Could’ve been related to some propane that is used to keep it heated, some valves. We`re looking into that right now,” Bassett said.

According to Bassett, no one was injured in the fire, and a nearby gas station was not threatened.

“Thankfully no other cars or structures were burning. Had an east wind blowing so that fire kind of blew away from everybody and that kind of helped us out a little bit today as well,” Bassett said.

Far from an average work day for Chavez, but he walked away with a lot of respect for the work our first responders do every day.

“We could kind of feel that shock wave coming from those explosions," Chavez said. "Some of those firefighters got real close before that fire went down so they were pretty brave getting that close to it. They did a good job."

The South Davis Metro Fire Department tweeted that Main St. was closed between 1025 N and 1100 shortly after 10 a.m. The street reopened shortly after 11 a.m.