For the Beef:
- 1 package lasagna noodles
- 3 lb. beef chuck roast
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ c. merlot (red wine), sub with beef broth if desired
- 14.5 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dry basil
- 1 tsp. dry oregano
- 2 c. beef broth
For the topping:
- 3 c. crushed tomatoes
- 12 slices provolone cheese, cut in half
- 3 c. shredded mozzarella
- ½ c. grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 350. Salt and pepper the beef on all sides. In a dutch oven, or heavy-bottomed, oven safe saute pan, add the oil and heat over med-high heat. Once the oil is hot, brown the beef on all sides.
2. Remove the beef and add the onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes stirring often. Add the garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add the wine or beef broth and deglaze the pan scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1-2 minutes to reduce. Add the crushed tomatoes, basil, oregano and beef broth or stock. Put the beef back in the pan, cover with a lid and place in the oven.
3. Cook for 1 ½ hours, turn the beef over in the pot, cover and return to the oven to cook another 1 ½ hours. Remove from the oven and shred the beef with 2 forks. Set aside.
4. During the last half hour of beef cooking time, boil some salted water in a pot and cook the lasagna noodles for 1 minutes less than the package directions. Drain and rinse the noodles and put them in a bowl and toss with a little oil.
5. Make sure the oven is still at 350. Spray a 13x9 baking dish with some non-stick spray. Add a little of the crushed tomato and some of the pan juices from the roast on the bottom of the baking dish. Assemble the roll-ups by placing 2 halves of the provolone cheese on a noodle. Add about a ½ c. of the shredded meat onto one end of the noodle. Roll it up and place it in the baking dish. Continue the process until all of your filling is used up. Pour the remaining crushed tomato over the top.
6. Sprinkle on the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses and bake 20 minutes. Turn the broiler on and brown the cheese. Serve warm and enjoy!