For the Muffins:
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into ½ in. cubes
- 2 ½ c. milk6 lg. eggs
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Butter and maple syrup for serving (optional)
For the topping:
- ¼ c. cold butter, diced or shredded
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- For the muffins, whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tin. Put the cubed bread in a large bowl.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top and mix well.
- Divide the bread mixture evenly into the muffin cups. You may have to press them down to make it all fit.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350.
- Make the topping by mixing the cold butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl with your hands until it is crumbly.
- Take out your muffins and evenly sprinkle the topping mixture over the muffins.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
- Let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and serve warm with butter and syrup if you like.