Follow along with Chef Jeff as he teaches you how to make Sausage and Tomato Risotto
Smith’s Chef Jeff Jackson Recipe
Sausage and Tomato Risotto
28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 qt. chicken broth
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. Italian sausage
1 shallot, minced
1 tsp. garlic, minced
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1 c. arborio rice
½ c. dry white wine or extra broth if desired
1 c. grated parmesan cheese
4 tbsp. butter
½ c. fresh basil, chopped
1. Put the broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and have it to the side of the saute pan you will be using with a ladle in it.
2. Heat the oil over medium heat in the saute pan and cook and crumble the sausage until browned. Remove the sausage from the pan and drain leaving about 1 tbsp. of the fat in the pan.
3. Add the shallot to the pan with a little salt and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes and then add the garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add the rice and cook stirring often for about 2 more minutes.
4. Pour the wine or ½ c. of extra broth into the pan and cook until the liquid has mostly evaporated, stirring often. Add the tomatoes to the pan and return the sausage to the pan. Stir to combine and cook until it simmers, stirring often.
5. Begin adding the broth 1 ladle full at a time, stirring until the rice absorbs the liquid before adding the next ladle full. This process of stirring and adding more liquid should last about 20-25 minutes.
6. Once you have added all the liquid, taste to make sure the rice is cooked. It should be a little al dente still. Stir in the butter until melted and then stir in the parmesan cheese until it melts and the rice is creamy. Stir in the basil. Taste and season as necessary. Serve immediately. Enjoy!