OGDEN, Utah — A methamphetamine user set his house on fire in Ogden this week after becoming paranoid, according to police.
Arrest records show the fire happened Tuesday on the 2000 block of Monroe Boulevard at around 9 a.m.
The responding officer said Austin Shortman, 41, was admitted to a local hospital where he told staff he had lit the house on fire using a propane torch and a blanket after hearing voices.
Shortman admitted to being a methamphetamine user and believed his landlord had planted speakers inside his house. The officer noted that a common side effect of meth use is paranoia and hallucinations.
Shortman was booked into jail and faces a felony arson charge.