Shooting at Millcreek gas station leaves 1 dead, 1 in 'very critical condition'

Posted at 6:07 AM, Nov 11, 2022
and last updated 2022-11-11 21:17:07-05

MILLCREEK, Utah — A teenager has been arrested for the early morning at a Millcreek gas station that left an 18-year-old dead and another person who was originally in critical condition.

Unified police say Husain Musse, 18, has been arrested and booked into jail for murder.

Police said they were alerted that a shooting had taken place in the parking lot of 7-Eleven located at 4051 South State Street just before 12:30 a.m.

"Those people got out of their car, a couple of these young people went inside of the 7-Eleven for a few minutes and then went back out into the parking lot," explained Sgt. Melody Cutler with the Unified Police Department. "That is when our 7-Eleven clerk heard the gunshots.”

When officials arrived, they found a 19-year-old male in the parking lot who had been shot. He was taken to the hospital in "very critical condition," but later removed from that status and police say the victim will survive.

An 18-year-old male was picked up by people at the scene, loaded into a White Lexus and dropped off at the hospital where he died, Sgt. Cutler said.

The 18-year-old was identified by police as Talib Ahmed.

Officials are still putting together the pieces of what led to the shooting.

"What we know at this point was there were two groups of males here at the 7-Eleven," Sgt. Cutler said. "Some sort of altercation occurred in the parking lot and multiple shots were fired."

Investigators believe there were at least four vehicles belonging to a combination of suspects, witnesses and victims related to the shooting, with about 10 people possibly involved.

There are also unanswered questions about the weapons involved.

“Not sure if they were shooting at each other or if there was one group that had two weapons," Cutler said. "We’re not completely clear on that at this time.”

Cutler explained that one of the challenges in the investigation is that not many witnesses were around considering the time of night.

Police teams spent several hours at businesses up the street from the 7-Eleven and closed the area off as part of the investigation.

“The reality is that... these kids are getting access to these firearms they shouldn’t have, and you know, obviously, not understanding the consequences of their actions," Cutler said. "A life has been lost, and reality, more than one because as soon as people are caught, they’re facing some serious charges."

If you saw anything or have any additional information about this case call detectives at 801-840-4000.