NewsLocal News


JJ Vallow's grandparents visit site where missing children's remains recovered

Posted at 12:46 AM, Jun 11, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-11 02:46:34-04

SALEM, Idaho-- The grandparents of one of the two children found dead in Idaho after a months-long search, visited the site where investigators discovered the remains of JJ Vallow and Tylee Ryan.

Larry and Kay Woodcock arrived from their home in Louisiana Wednesday evening, to walk along the road next to where it's believed their grandson's remains were buried.

JJ Vallow would have celebrated his 8th birthday just a couple weeks ago.

The remains of his sister, 17-year old Tylee Ryan, were also recovered from that site, according to Tylee's brother Colby Ryan.

As Larry Woodcock looked over the area, he became emotional.

"That's the scene where JJ was," he said, getting choked up as he spoke. He paused, and apologized for tearing up, then turned and looked at the empty field before saying, "My little man."

Larry said he wants to mend fences, and even potentially get to know the Daybell children.

"I'm not coming in hostility in any way," he said. "I come with trying to be the peacemaker, and that's all I want. I just want to be a peacemaker. Let's all get along here."

Larry and Kay were able to see some of the items community members hung on the fence along the property. Some brought flowers, others brought T-shirts that said, "Bring JJ and Tylee home."

JJ and Tylee both disappeared in September, though it appears at different times. According to police, Tylee was last known to be seen alive in photos taken in Yellowstone National Park on September 8.

Police have said JJ went missing September 23. The children's mother, Lori Vallow Daybell, is in jail in Madison County on desertion and nonsupport of her children.

Lori's husband Chad Daybell, who owns the property where the remains were recovered, is in jail on felony charges with a $1 million bail.

He made his first court appearance Wednesday morning, where prosecutor Rob Wood described how one of the two children's remains were disposed of in an "egregious" way.

While visiting the site, Larry said Wednesday evening he wasn't thinking right now about who is behind this, and that he would let the justice system take care of that.