NewsLocal News


Clinton stabbing leaves two victims injured, suspect fatally shot by police

Posted at 9:14 PM, Dec 16, 2021
and last updated 2021-12-17 12:29:47-05

CLINTON, Utah — A man and woman were stabbed by a male suspect who was fatally shot by police in Clinton Thursday night.

The initial incident happened at around 6:30 p.m. in the area of 1700 North 1300 West. The initial call reported that a female was running down the street screaming and then information updated to reveal a female had been stabbed multiple times.

Chief Shawn Stoker with the Clinton Police Department reported that when officers arrived at the scene, they encountered a male suspect in his 30's and at some point during the interaction, shots were fired by officers and the man was killed.

Image from iOS (1) (1).jpg

According to Stoker, preliminary investigation shows the male suspect had been temporarily living in a home in the area and got in an argument with another man in his 30's who was in the basement of the home.

"Immediately upon entering into the home [the suspect] got involved in an altercation with another male that was in the basement unprovoked and stabbed that male," said Police Chief Shawn Stoker with the Clinton Police Department.

It is believed the two men were acquaintances, but their exact relationship is unknown at this point.

The male victim was then able to escape from the house and ran to safety at a neighbors house.

Due to the commotion outside, a woman in her 50's came out of her house and encountered the suspect in the street. The suspect stabbed the woman multiple times and continued to run down the street, Stoker said.

The woman and the suspect did not know each other and she was uninvolved with the initial stabbing.

"All the information we've received at this point was that both of the attacks on the victims were unprovoked," Stoker said.

According to Stoker, the suspect eventually encountered police officers and was fatally shot.

There's no indication that drugs or alcohol played a piece in the incident, but an investigation is ongoing, according to police.

The conditions of the two stabbing victims was not available. Stoker said both victims were transported to the hospital.

There were other witnesses in the home, but exactly how many and their relationship to the suspect and male victim was not made available.

An investigation into the stabbings as well and an independent investigation into the officer's use of force is underway. The officers involved with the shooting will be on administrative leave pending results of the investigation.