SALT LAKE CITY — Starting Thursday, The Salt Lake City School District will resume its "Grab and Go Meal Service" at 16 designated schools, all thanks to a grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
The program was started at the beginning of the pandemic to ensure kids wouldn't go hungry.
Children can receive a Lunch and a breakfast every weekday from September 3 to October 30. The meal service won't operate on weekends or holidays (including Labor Day.)
“Every day they come and they can get a sack lunch, it’s usually a hot lunch of some sort and then they get another little sack meal and that’s breakfast and it’s something that they can refrigerate or something that they can easily prepare for the next morning,” said Yandary Chatwin, The Spokesperson of the Salt Lake City School District.
All meals are pre-packaged and delivered to each families car. Walk-up service is available for those who don't have access to a car.
"It’s going to go along way towards making sure kids are ready to learn, it’s hard to learn on an empty stomach and it’s just one more thing we can do to help families take care of that,” said Chatwin.
The meals are provided for all children ages 0-18. You don't have to be enrolled in school or in a free/reduced price meal program to be eligible for the meals.
“It’s one less thing to worry about, a lot of kids make sure that they help their families, they get jobs and their income contributes to the household, again this is one thing that’s going to help alleviate pressure on families during a really hard time,” said Chatwin.
Chatwin says they're hoping to extend the program into November, but that will all depend on funding.
Meals will be served at the following locations from 11-12:30:
- Backman Elementary (South Parking Area – Enter from 1500 West): 601 North 1500 West, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Clayton Middle (Southeast Parking Area – Located by front doors): 1470 South 1900 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
- East High School (West Parking Area – Enter from 900 South): 840 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Edison Elementary (U-shaped Driveway – Located in front of school): 430 South Cheyenne Street, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Escalante Elementary (West Parking Area - Enter from 900 North): 1810 West 900 North, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Glendale Middle School (Northwest Parking Area): 1430 West Andrew Avenue, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Highland High School (East Parking Area – Located next to main entrance): 2166 South 1700 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Liberty Elementary (Southeast Parking Area): 1085 South 300 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
- M. Lynn Bennion Elementary (Parking Area – Located next to loading docks): 429 South 800 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Meadowlark Elementary (Northeast Parking Area): 497 North Morton Drive, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Nibley Park School (Main Entrance - Driveway): 2785 South 800 East, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Northwest Middle (South Parking Area): 1730 West 1700 North, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Parkview Elementary (Northwest Parking Area): 970 South Emery Street, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Rose Park Elementary (West Parking Area – Located next to main entrance): 1105 West 1000 North, Salt Lake City, Utah
- West High School (U-shaped Driveway – Located North of building next to cafeteria entrance): 241 North 300 West, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Whittier Elementary (North Parking Area – Enter from Roberta Street): 1600 South 300 East, Salt Lake City, Utah