NewsLocal News


Two firefighters, one officer injured Friday morning in Utah Co. fire

The home is considered a total loss
Posted at 8:26 AM, Feb 21, 2020
and last updated 2020-02-21 15:30:27-05

SPRINGVILLE, Utah — A house fire in Hobble Creek Canyon sent two firefighters and a police officer to the hospital Friday morning after part of the roof collapsed on fire crews.

Officials said multiple agencies responded in a heroic act to save three firefighters trapped inside the home on Hobble Creek Haven Road.

Firefighters said a fire started in the attic of the 7,000 square foot home between 3:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m.

“It’s heartbreaking I’ve never seen anything like it,” said neighbor Allison Streames.

The couple living in the home was alerted by a sprinkler system and was able to make it out safely with their pets.

“They reported that they were woken up by water flow, which they had a sprinkler system in the lower portion of the home, below the attic that water flow woke him up and they were able to get out of the house move their cars and get their pets,” said Henry Clinton, Fire Chief with the Springville Fire.

The firefighters were working hard to control the flames, but as they were leaving the garage, part of the roof collapsed trapping three of them in there.

“As a result of that, a mayday was activated, a rescue with the fire crews on scene, we were able to get the firefighters out, two of the firefighters were transported to the hospital,” said Clinton.

One firefighter sustained leg injuries from being trapped and the other had smoke inhalation along with a police officer who was trying to help.

Neighbors tell us this is a pretty tight-knit community and they plan to do what they can to help.

“I feel like it’s part of the family you know, and I’m sure that we will all group together to help them, it’s the kind of people that live up here.”

Streames said it’s devastating to see something like this happen in her community.

Firefighters say the house is a total loss and because of the extensive damage, they won’t be able to determine a cause of the fire.