NewsLocal News


Victim of Payson sledgehammer attack identified; fundraiser set up to help with medical costs

Benjamin Partridge
Posted at 8:30 AM, Aug 19, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-19 10:30:51-04

PAYSON, Utah — The Payson Police Department has released the name of the man who was beaten with a sledgehammer on Aug. 14.

In a Facebook post, the man was identified as 41-year-old Benjamin Partridge of Payson.

His immediate family authorized the release of the information.

Police said Partridge is currently stable and listed in critical condition in an intensive care unit. He received numerous injuries that include: skull fracture, collapsed lung, damaged liver, damaged spleen, damaged kidneys, fractured hip, fractured rib, injuries to his eyes, and other injuries associated to this attack.

The family also asked the police department to share a GoFundMe page to raise money for impending and mounting medical costs.

The fundraiser says in part, “Ben was on the driveway building a fish tank stand for his new tank on August 14 in the late morning. He was cutting the wood while listening to his music, his back was to the street. A disturbed individual was walking down the street, saw our sledgehammer resting on the front lawn. The perp picked up the sledgehammer, walked up behind Ben and swung it at him making direct contact with Ben's skull. Ben was knocked completely out, and the perp continued to strike him 2 - 3 more times, breaking 4 ribs, collapsing his right lung, breaking his pelvic wing off on the right side, severely damaging his liver, and spleen, and damaging his kidney's. Our neighbor screamed at him to stop and he focused his attention on her and the children in her day care facility.

Ben has been stable, but very minimal response. His brain has not stopped swelling as of yet and he still has the danger of passing away. WHEN his brain stops swelling and begins to subside, he will have a much better chance of survival. As of right now, they are only working on keeping him comfortable, and waiting for the swelling to subside.

He has a long arduous journey ahead, as well as the family. He will need lots and lots of rehabilitation and accommodations. We, his family, appreciate all of the prayers and help the community has given to us. Whatever we can raise to help defer any costs that we will incur later down the road for his recovery would be much appreciated. Thank you, and blessings to all of you.

A 17-year-old juvenile male has been arrested and booked into Slate Canyon Youth Detention on charges of attempted aggravated murder, two counts of aggravated assault, two counts of aggravated child abuse, two counts of child abuse, burglary of a dwelling, obstruction of justice, two charges of criminal trespass, and disorderly conduct.

So far, investigators haven't determined a motive in the attack.