NewsLocal News


Woman flying to SLC fined $24,000 for refusing to wear mask, assaulting crewmembers

Earns Delta Air Lines
Posted at 7:24 AM, Nov 11, 2021
and last updated 2021-11-11 09:41:14-05

SALT LAKE CITY — The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has proposed $201,287 in civil penalties against 10 airline passengers, including several people who were flying either to or from Utah.

The FAA released the 10 new cases on Wednesday.

It included an incident from Dec. 27, 2020 when a woman allegedly became unruly while flying Delta from Detroit, Michigan to Salt Lake City.

According to the FAA, the woman refused to follow crew instruction to wear her mask, threatened crewmembers, cursed at crewmembers and shoved a crewmember.

Additionally, two other passengers either going to or coming from Utah were issued fines from the FAA.

$9,000 against a passenger on a Feb. 20, 2021, Delta flight from Salt Lake City, Utah, to Long Beach, Calif., for his alleged refusal to comply with the crew instructions to wear a face mask.

$10,500 against a passenger on a Feb. 27, 2021, Allegiant flight from Provo, Utah, to Mesa, Ariz. The FAA alleges the passenger refused to wear his facemask over his mouth and nose throughout the flight. Flight attendants instructed him seven separate times to wear his facemask properly, and each time he moved it off of his nose after the flight attendant walked away. When told that he needed to cooperate and provide information to fill out a passenger disturbance report, he argued with the flight attendant, refused to provide his identification, said he would continue to pull his facemask down, and claimed that it was fine just over his mouth. After the plane landed, he allegedly approached a flight attendant from behind as she prepared to open the cabin door and touched her. He stated that she was being aggressive about the facemask policy and got very close to her while complaining about her enforcement of the policy. This behavior intimidated the flight attendant and caused her to cry.

The FAA has not named the passengers. They all have 30 days to respond.