Running out of dinner ideas with all your quarantine cooking? Using simple pantry items and a few fresh ingredients, Smith's Chef Jeff Jackson shows us how to easily put this recipe together that is sure to be a family favorite!
1 ½ lbs. ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp. garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 packet taco seasoning
½ c. beef or chicken broth
2 cans mild Rotel (diced tomato and green chili)
1 c. red or green enchilada sauce
16 oz. bottle salsa (any kind will do)
10 soft taco size flour tortillas
3 to 4 cups shredded cheese (Mexican mix preferred)
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 can sliced olives, drained (optional)
1. In a saute pan over medium heat, add the onions with a little oil. Cook 3-4 minutes or until translucent. Add the ground beef and garlic. Crumble the ground beef as it browns. Season with a little salt and pepper. Drain the excess fat.
2. Add the taco seasoning, beef broth and one of the cans of rotel. Bring to a simmer and cook 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
3. Preheat your oven to 400. Cut the tortillas into ¼ `s. Pour the enchilada sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Layer 1/3 of the tortillas into the baking dish. Spread ½ of the ground beef mixture into the baking dish followed by a cup of the shredded cheese and half of the salsa.
4. Layer another 1/3 of the tortillas on the lasagna. Spread the rest of the ground beef mixture followed by another cup of the shredded cheese and the rest of the salsa.
5. Top it all with the last of the tortillas and another cup of the cheese. Evenly layer the last can of rotel followed by the green onion and olives. Place in the oven and bake about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browning slightly.
6. Remove from the oven and let it rest 5 or 10 minutes before slicing. Enjoy.
You know what else tastes good? Giving to those in need! Starting now, Smith's invites shoppers to help raise funds for local, state and national organizations helping during the Covid crisis. At checkout, just round up your purchase to the nearest dollar - or donate $1, $5, or $10 - and the Zero Hunger Zero Waste Foundation will put your money to work - helping the community!
Find out more by visiting smithsfoodanddrug.com.