Chicken soup is comforting, it's soothing to the body, mind and soul.
Cooking with Ruthie is in Greece right now, unable to get home to Utah, but she's still cooking some of her recipes.
She joined us from Greece with Chicken & Rice Soup made with pantry staples.
• 1 whole chicken, (breasts reserved)
• 1 (32 ounce) chicken broth
• 6 carrots, sliced 1/4 inch rounds
• 1 large onion, medium diced
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 1/2 cups rice (long grain brown or white)
• 1-2 teaspoons sea salt, according to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 lemons
• 1/2 cup fresh parsley, rough chopped
Report this ad
1. Rinse under running water the whole chicken, fabricate into pieces; cutting legs, thighs, wings, and breasts. Remove skin and discard (except the wings, if too difficult). Place in an airtight container and refrigerate while carcass boils.
2. Add 8 cups COLD water to large stock pot with chicken carcass, onions, garlic, salt and pepper; bring to a slow boil and reduce heat to simmer for 1 1/2-2 hours.
3. Add legs, thighs, wings to stock pot, cover with lid, and reduce heat to low.
4. Allow chicken to cook in hot broth for 20 minutes, remove meat from bones, shred and cover; set aside.
5. Return bones to broth.
6. Add carrots, rice, and chicken stock.
7. Bring to boil and reduce to medium low; simmer 20 minutes or until rice and carrots are tender.
8. Remove bones from broth.
9. Add shredded meat, the juice of half a lemon, and 2 tablespoons fresh parsley.
10. Serve your Lemon Chicken & Rice Soup Recipe with lemon wedges and parsley to be added as desired. Enjoy!
For more great recipes, please visit: cookingwithruthie.com