This recipe for Oatmeal Raisin Bars has been in Ruthie Knudsen's family for a long time.
She says they're simple to make and are just as good for you as they are delicious.
Oatmeal Raisin Bars
• 2 cups seedless raisins
• 1 cup water
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 1/2 cup apple sauce
• 1 1/2 cup sugar or 1 cup agave nectar (if using agave reduce oven to 350 degrees and cook a few minutes longer)
• 2 eggs, room temperature
• 2 cups unbleached flour
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 cups whole oats
• 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Coat a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
3. In a small sauce pan combine raisins and water- bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until most of the water is gone(reserve 1/8 C) and the raisins are plump.
4. In a large mixing bowl cream butter, add sugar (or drizzle in agave),
5. Add eggs one at a time; creaming 2-3 minutes with each addition.
6. Add flour, salt, cinnamon, soda mix; mix to 80% incorporated.
7. Add applesauce and oats; mix to incorporate.
8. Add hot raisins with remaining juice and nuts (if desired); gently mix with a wooden spoon.
9. Spread evenly into prepared cookie sheet.
10. Bake 375 degrees for 12-17 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
11. Enjoy your Oatmeal Raisin Bars Recipe!
You can get more great recipes at cookingwithruthie.com.