Whitney Berge is a self-taught baker of cakes and macarons.
She joined us with a birthday cake to celebrate The PLACE's 6-Year Birthday!
And, Whitney brought a gift for us to share with you -- her coveted cake recipe.
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes1 cup milk
2 tsp vanilla extract3 tsp vegetable oil
Rainbow Sprinkles (OPTIONAL)
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
BEAT EGGS UNTIL AERATED:
- Beat eggs for 30 seconds on speed 6 of a Stand Mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, or hand beater.
- With the beater still going, pour the sugar in over 45 seconds.
- Then beat for 7 minutes on speed 8, or until tripled in volume and white.
- Heat Milk-Butter: While egg is beating, place butter and milk in a heatproof jug and microwave 2 minutes on high to melt butter (or use stove). Do not let milk bubble and boil (foam ok). Don’t do this ahead and let the milk cool (this affects rise).
- Gently add flour: When the egg is whipped, scatter 1/3 flour across surface, then beat on Speed 1 for 5 seconds. Add half remaining flour, then mix on Speed 1 for 5 sec. Add remaining flour, then mix on Speed 1 for 5 - 10 sec until the flour is just mixed in. Once you can’t see flour, stop straight away.
- Turn beater back on Speed 1 then pour the Milk mixture into the Egg Batter over 15 seconds, then turn beater off.
- Scrape and final mix: Scrape down sides and base of bowl. Beat on Speed 1 for 10 seconds - batter should now be smooth and pourable.
Pour batter into greased cake pans and place in oven for 28-30 minutes.
When done baking, let them cool for 15-20 minutes.
If you are making cupcakes, bake single cupcake pans for 13-14 minutes.
Place single cake layers in the freezer to stabilize, and once cold/frozen decorate to your choosing.
You can learn from Whitney too, she teaches classes. Or, just buy her delicious and beautiful desserts already made!