SALT LAKE CITY — The National Weather Service is warning drivers of potentially hazardous conditions as a winter storm brings snow to parts of Utah Monday morning.
Winter weather advisories are in effect for several counties—including Box Elder, Cache, Carbon, Duchesne, Emery, Juab, Millard, Morgan, Tooele and Utah counties—until 9 p.m. Monday.
Drivers are urged to slow down and use caution.
"Winter driving conditions can be expected across the area this morning. Allow extra time when traveling, particularly during the morning commute," the advisories state.
The Utah Department of Transportation announced the traction law is in effect for Big and Little Cottonwood canyons shortly before 8 a.m. Drivers are required to use either 4-wheel drive or tire chains to travel in those canyons while the traction law is active.
Road Weather Highlights from the Utah Department of Transportation:
A winter storm will continue to impact Utah Monday morning through Monday evening. This system will bring periods of mountain and valley road snow statewide.
For the Wasatch Front, snow showers can be expected early Monday morning and continue at times through early Monday evening. The biggest concern of road snow for Monday morning’s commute still looks to be Ogden and areas northward. South of Ogden, periods of brief road snow can be expected Monday morning and into the early evening possibly impacting both commutes. South of the Wasatch Front along the I-15 corridor to Cedar City, road snow is expected with a greater concern over the summits as well as the I-15/I-70 Jct. late Monday morning through the evening. Higher routes of southeastern Utah are expected to see periods of light road snow Monday afternoon/evening. Mountain routes are expected to see periods of road snow, with higher impacts in the northern mountains routes.
Motorists are advised to use caution and TravelWise. Motorists heading up canyon and mountain routes should be prepared for chain restrictions at any time during snow events. The following routes will experience weather-related travel concerns during the forecast period:
- I-15, ID/UT border to Black Ridge
- I-80, Entire route
- I-70, I-15 Jct. to Sevier; Salina to Fremont Jct.
- US-40, Entire route
- US-89, ID/UT border south to Manti; Sevier to Mt. Carmel Jct.
- US-191, WY/UT border through Indian Canyon to US-6 Jct.; La Sal Jct.; Monticello area
- US-6, Kings Canyon; Skull Rock Pass; US-132 Jct. to Price
- SR-12, Entire route
- SR-14, Entire route
- SR-20, Entire route
- SR-31, Entire route
- SR-153, Entire route
- SR-143, Entire route
- SR-150, Entire route
- SR-190 Big Cottonwood Canyon
- SR-210 Little Cottonwood Canyon
- SR-189 Provo Canyon
Click here to check the Utah Department of Transportation's Road Weather Conditions map and watch FOX 13 for further updates.
DOWNLOAD THE FOX 13 FIRST ALERT WEATHER APP
The FOX 13 First Alert Weather app gives real-time information on severe weather throughout the state, along with the following features to keep your family safe:
• Access to station content specifically for our mobile users
• 250 meter radar, the highest resolution available
• High resolution satellite cloud imagery
• Future radar to see where severe weather is headed
• Current weather updated multiple times per hour
• Ability to add and save your favorite locations
• Daily and Hourly forecasts updated hourly from our computer models
• A fully integrated GPS for current location awareness
• Opt-in push alerts to keep you safe in severe weather
• Severe weather alerts from the National Weather Service