by Jennifer Burns
- 2 cups all-purpose flour for coating
- 1 (4 pound) chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper or 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, quartered (optional)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley or chives
Combine the flour with salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Shake the chicken pieces in flour until coated. Heat the oil in a large skillet (one that has a cover/lid). Fry the chicken pieces until they are browned on both sides. Remove from skillet.
Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper to the skillet and sauté until the onion is slightly browned. Return the chicken to the skillet and add the tomatoes, oregano and stock. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes over medium low heat.
Add the mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 more minutes. Add the parsley or chives; serve immediately over rice or noodles (option).