Woman shot by police after chase was wanted on Colo. warrant

Posted at 7:37 AM, Nov 26, 2012
and last updated 2012-11-26 20:55:43-05

Investigators from three departments are trying to piece together the events leading up to an officer-involved shooting in Davis County.

The shooting happened late Sunday night near 700 East Cottonwood Drive, just off I-84.

Davis County Sheriff's Office identified the woman shot by a Morgan County Deputy as Kristine Nicole Biggs, 41, of Whitewater, Colo.

Investigators said a Morgan County Deputy spotted a pickup truck in Weber Canyon in Morgan County with a headlight out. He tried to pull over the truck, but the says the driver took off, leading deputies on a chase along I-84.

Spike strips were eventually deployed by the Utah Highway Patrol on the truck, taking out three tires but investigators say that did not slow the woman driving the truck.

Biggs drove for another eight miles before finally making a u-turn on Cottonwood Drive, just off the highway. According to the Davis County Sheriff's Department, she crashed the truck into a pair of Morgan County vehicles.

"[There was] a rather lengthy pursuit and then when she turned off on to Cottonwood Drive and then turned around and intentionally took the deputies head on," said  Capt. Kenneth Payne, Davis County Sheriff's Office. "She will be looking at felony assault charges."

A Morgan County Deputy fired a single shot through the truck's windshield, after Biggs failed to reply and kept ramming the vehicle, Capt. Payne said.

Capt. Payne said Biggs suffered an injury to her nose and left eye. She is in stable condition and is expected to recover, according to authorities.

Davis County Officials said Biggs was driving on a suspended license and there was a warrant for her arrest from Colorado. Morgan County officials said alcohol may also have played a factor in the chase.

The truck Biggs was driving is also registered in Colorado, but investigators said they are looking into who owned the truck.

The truck contained a number of Biggs' belongings, which led investigators to believe she may have been in the process of moving.