USU’s Berger now in ‘fair’ condition

Posted at 4:08 PM, Dec 04, 2012
and last updated 2012-12-06 19:18:35-05

LOGAN, Utah -- A member of the Utah State University men's basketball team has been upgraded to fair condition Thursday afternoon after he stopped breathing and collapsed on the basketball court during a team practice session on Tuesday.

Danny Berger, 22, was at a team practice at the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum arena on Tuesday afternoon when he collapsed.

Mike Williams, a USU trainer who was at the practice, and other staff treated Berger at the scene with CPR and used an automated external defibrillator (AED) to revive him. Doctors say that's ultimately why Berger is still alive.

"When he collapsed, he went to the floor and he was no longer breathing. The process that goes through when that happens is a very straightforward protocol that we go through. Mike Williams followed that exactly how you're supposed to," said team physician Trek Lyons.

USU campus police said Berger was not breathing when emergency personnel responded. He began breathing again before being transported to a local hospital.

Berger was then taken by helicopter to the trauma center at Intermountain Medical Center in Murray. On Wednesday afternoon, Lyons said that Berger was waking up and responding to doctors and had begun breathing on his own.

According to Intermountain Medical Center, Berger's condition was upgraded to fair on Thursday afternoon.

Jess Gomez, spokesperson for Intermountain Medical Center, says Berger suffered from cardiac arrest, but doctors still don't know what caused his heart to stop.

Athletics officials at BYU and Utah State announced they are postponing Wednesday night's basketball game between the schools due to the "serious medical condition of USU student-athlete Danny Berger that occurred during practice on Tuesday."

The press release stated the game will be rescheduled for a later date.

Danny Berger's brother John Berger released a statement Wednesday afternoon:

"Yesterday Danny collapsed during practice, and we are still unsure of the reason for it. As of right now, things are looking good. He's waking up and responding the way the doctors want him to.

"We want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I know what you have made a difference in keeping my brother alive. We are so thankful for everyone who has been so kind and willing to help in any way.

"Thanks to the medical staff here at the Intermountain Medical Center, at Logan Regional Hospital, and Danny's teammates and coaching staff.

"Most of all, thank you to Mike Williams, the Utah State University trainer who was at practice when Danny collapsed. He saved my brother's life and I thank God for him."