News

Actions

No school at Whitesides Elem. after boiler overheats

Posted at 7:57 PM, Dec 19, 2012
and last updated 2012-12-19 21:57:46-05

LAYTON, Utah – There will be no school at Whitesides Elementary on Thursday and Friday after a boiler overheated.

At around 4:45 p.m., the fire alarm system at Whitesides Elementary, located at 233 North Colonial in Layton, activated because of smoke in the basement boiler area of the school.

Crews arrived, finding smoke in the boiler room and a light haze of smoke in the main level hallways. Fire crews were able to work with school maintenance to isolate the power to the boiler and shut of the natural gas mains to the school as a precaution.

There were about 50 students and teachers in the school at the time of the incident. They were evacuated and suffered no injuries.

Early investigation found that the boiler had lost its water pressure and supply which caused it to overheat and generate the smoke.

Because the boiler is not working and there is still a smokey smell, the school will be closed on Thursday and Friday. School will commence after the new year as scheduled.