by Jennifer Burns, Dan's Market
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cored, halved, seeded, chopped into 1-inch-thick slices
- 3 garlic cloves, 2 minced, 1 whole
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 loaf ciabatta or baguette, cut on a diagonal into 1/3" pieces
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Combine tomatoes and minced garlic in a large bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add oil and vinegar; toss to mix well. Cover and let tomatoes marinate at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for 2–3 hours to allow flavors to develop.
Place bread slices on a baking sheet. Drizzle bread with oil, season with salt and pepper. Bake for 4-6 minutes until golden brown. Immediately rub one side of toasted bread with remaining garlic clove. Add basil to tomato mixture in bowl and toss well. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.. Arrange crostini on a platter. Spoon some tomato mixture on top of each crostini.