UPDATE: Officials stated Saturday the announcement had been put on hold. Click here for details.
SALT LAKE CITY — Kirk Jowers, a founding member of Count My Vote and the director of the Hinckley Institute of Politics at the University of Utah, has confirmed to FOX 13 News that members of the County My Vote Initiative have reached a deal with Utah lawmakers.
Jowers said Friday the deal will be announced at a press conference Saturday at 11 a.m.
Officials with Count My Vote tweeted Friday night that they would not abandon their petition drive until new legislation has been signed by Gov. Gary Herbert.
The organization has been working to eliminate Utah’s caucus system, and they recently announced they had collected more than 100,000 signatures to back their initiative.
Earlier this month, the group Protect our Neighborhood Elections filed a complaint that called the validity of some of Count My Vote’s signatures into question.
James Humphreys is the media chairman for Protect our Neighborhood Elections, and he issued the following statement in response to a possible deal.
“Protect our Neighborhood Elections has anticipated for the last few weeks that Count My Vote would end their campaign early. That being said, we are grateful for anything that stops the petition from moving forward. This process is evolving and we are awaiting the final language for review. We are thankful to all of the hard work and dedication of our all volunteer force and the countless hours and financial support they have brought to our cause.”
FOX 13 News will have more information as it becomes available.