News

Actions

Portage home destroyed after propane explosion

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 12:04 AM, Mar 11, 2014
and last updated 2014-03-11 02:04:33-04

BOX ELDER COUNTY — A man escaped serious injuries after a propane explosion in his Portage home Monday afternoon.

The owner of the home reported smelling propane earlier in the day and had called the propane company. He was advised to turn off the propane and call an appliance repairman since the leak was inside the house, according to Box Elder County Fire.

The blast was felt blocks away.

“At one point the crews had to let the fire burn the rest of the roof off in order to safely extinguish the fire,” Box Elder Fire officials said.

The Portage man was transported to a local hospital to be evaluated.

The home, valued at $150,000, is a total loss.

Along with Box Elder Fire, crews from Portage, Garland and Fielding Fire Departments responded to the blaze.

It took three hours to get the inferno under control.