Police: Armed man shot, critically injured at Cache Valley Hospital

Posted at 8:39 AM, May 16, 2014
and last updated 2014-05-16 18:18:11-04

NORTH LOGAN, Utah -- A man armed with a pair of handguns walked into the emergency room of Cache Valley Hospital where he was shot by a parole agent, police here said.

The shooting happened inside the foyer just before 9 a.m. Friday, police said. Jason James Burr, 34, walked into the hospital and "made demands" of employees there, said North Park Police Chief Kim Hawkes.

"He made demands and produced two handguns," the chief told reporters at a news conference Friday.

Utah Dept. of Corrections officials said pair of Adult Probation and Parole Agents were inside the emergency room on an unrelated matter -- they were getting medical attention for a parolee. They were summoned to the foyer where they confronted Burr.

"One of the agents, as they were in the foyer area, was confronted by the suspect," Hawkes said. "The suspect produced the firearms in his direction and four shots were fired."

Lisa Sharp told FOX 13 she was headed into the emergency room when she heard "a loud bang."

"Then all of a sudden, all the other police came and the guns were coming out and I heard an officer say, 'One down!'" she said.

Burr was hit three times, the police chief said. He was flown to University Hospital in Salt Lake City where he was last reported to be in critical condition.

jason-james-burrIt was unknown if Burr actually fired any shots. Police said they were still trying to find a motive for Burr's actions. Court records reveal he has convictions for prescription drug fraud.

Outside Burr's North Logan home, police officers and agents with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were talking to family members. His family declined to comment to FOX 13.

Burr's ex-wife, Becky, said she was stunned. She told FOX 13 it was not like him.

Cache Valley Hospital remained open, but the emergency room was locked down while the shooting was investigated. Emergency calls were routed to nearby Logan Regional Hospital. A pair of nearby schools were also temporarily locked down.