Millcreek home demolished after second flare-up

Posted at 6:03 AM, May 22, 2014
and last updated 2014-05-22 14:41:09-04

MILLCREEK, Utah -- Firefighting crews responded to a house fire in Millcreek Wednesday and were called to the home again to put out a second fire early Thursday morning.

The fire occurred at 2239 E Atkin Ave and is believed to have been ignited by a cigarette. Firefighters first responded to the home around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday and stayed on the scene for about five hours to put out the blaze.

A neighbor called 911 to notify them the house was on fire again around 4:30 Thursday morning.

When crews arrived, they found the home was fully engulfed. The home was demolished as a result of the fires.

The house was very loaded and there was an accessibility problem for firefighters, said Curtis Day, Unified Fire Authority Battalion Chief. The home was filled with clothing, furniture and other items.

"This is a situation that we deal with on a regular basis, every firefighters does in every city," Day said. "We just have to pick through it and make sure that the fire has not gone deep seated."

The firefighters put a heavy coating of foam over the demolished building to eliminate any possible rekindling of the fire.

Arson investigators responded to the scene Thursday morning, but the fires have not been ruled as arson-caused.

The woman who lives there was able to get out of the  house, but her four dogs did not survive. The fire did not spread to any neighboring homes.