- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 medium orange
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick), melted and cooled slightly
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray or butter; set aside. Place the flour, sugar, orange zest, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl and whisk to aerate and break up any lumps. Add the orange juice, melted butter, egg, and vanilla and stir with a spoon or rubber spatula until just combined. Stir in the cranberries and nuts, if using, until thoroughly mixed.
Scrape the batter into the loaf pan, pushing it into the corners and smoothing the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes, then turn the bread out onto the rack and cool completely.