Family dog dies in Orem house fire

Posted at 8:59 AM, Dec 20, 2014
and last updated 2014-12-20 10:59:04-05

OREM, Utah — An Orem couple is displaced and their family dog is dead after a house fire early Saturday morning.

At approximately 12:30 a.m., fire crews responded to the structure fire at 270 E. 200 South.

The investigation shows that the blaze started in the basement and was caused by an unattended candle, said Battalion Chief Ryan Peterson with Orem Fire.

One of the occupants received a minor cut on his arm from glass and was treated at the scene.

Utah Red Cross did respond to provide assistance.

The fire caused approximately $75,000 in damage.