News

Actions

Fireplace sparks Bluffdale home fire

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 9:42 PM, Dec 21, 2014
and last updated 2014-12-21 23:42:23-05

BLUFFDALE, Utah – A Bluffdale home suffered serious damage in a house fire.

Fire crews arrived at a home at 14738 South Currant Creek Ct. in Bluffdale to find heavy smoke pouring out of the chimney. To fight the fire, crews had to take that chimney apart brick by brick to minimize damage to the home.

No one was home at the time, but the gas fireplace was left on. Investigators say it appears that some insulation up against the flue caught fire.

The home suffered around $50,000 in damages, but they were able to save the presents.

“The Christmas tree was right next to the fireplace, the firemen did take time to move the Christmas tree and all the Christmas packages off to the side of the fireplace, we didn’t want to become the Grinch,” said Chief John Roberts, Bluffdale City Fire Department.

Because of wires left bare from fighting the fire, the family couldn’t spend the night in their home.