Man on oxygen suffers burn injuries after cigarette ignites flash fire, officials say

Posted at 8:06 AM, Mar 01, 2015
and last updated 2015-03-01 10:06:46-05

LAYTON, Utah — A Layton man suffered burn injuries after a cigarette ignited his oxygen creating a flash fire early Sunday morning, according to Layton fire officials.

At approximately 4:30 a.m., fire crews responded to Rolling Hills Estates on reports of a fire in one of the trailers.

Upon arrival it was discovered that a man on oxygen was smoking a cigarette when the oxygen caught fire, burning his face, fire officials say.

“It was a flash fire, mostly smoke,” said Battalion Chief Brad Wilkes with Layton City Fire.

The man was taken to an area hospital then airlifted to University Hospital’s burn unit.