‘This lady chest-butted!’ Fight over handicapped spot at Walmart sends 71-year-old woman to hospital

Posted at 3:51 PM, Mar 04, 2015
and last updated 2015-03-04 18:03:53-05

GREENFIELD, Wis. - A fight over a handicapped parking spot at Walmart ended with a 71-year-old woman in the hospital.

A 32-year-old woman is now facing charges after she allegedly "chest-butted" a 71-year-old woman to the ground in the dispute.

32-year-old Kezia Perkins - WITI

According to WITI, Kezia Perkins was trying to turn into a parking spot for the disabled when the 71-year-old woman pulled in before she could.

Perkins wasn't happy.

Surveillance video showed Perkins went to the victim's car and started yelling through the passenger window.

After a moment, the victim got out of her car to go into the store when Perkins ran up and accosted the woman.

A man who witnessed the fight told WITI, "This lady chest-butted."

The witness said Perkins knocked the woman down onto the snowy pavement.

Witnesses flagged down a nearby officer.

WITI reported Perkins allegedly told police, “It’s not my fault the elderly woman bounced off my big (chest).”

When police ran Perkins' license, officers discovered it was suspended, that the handicapped placard wasn't valid and it wasn't registered in her name.

According to the criminal complaint, the 71-year-old woman suffered a fractured femur and underwent hours of surgery on her hip.

Perkins' attorney sent WITI this statement:

“We maintain Ms. Perkins’ innocence relating to the charges that have been brought by the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office. This was an unfortunate accident that came about after a misunderstanding between two individuals.  Ms. Perkins is, herself, disabled, however the fact that her disability is not immediately noticeable led to confusion between the two women.

More than anything, this case highlights the need for individuals to be aware of and sensitive to the fact that many people may suffer from disabilities and ailments that are not always readily noticeable.  We believe that the facts will come out as this matter progresses and that ultimately Ms. Perkins will be cleared of the charges in this case.”

Perkins is expected in court next week.

If convicted of aggravated battery, Perkins faces up to six years in prison and $10,000 in fines.