News

Actions

Candles, no smoke detectors lead to fire at West Valley City home

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 9:04 AM, Mar 11, 2015
and last updated 2015-03-11 11:11:53-04

WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah – Fire officials said a woman is fortunate she woke up when she did after a fire sparked in her home overnight.

West Valley City fire crews said they were called to a home near 2800 S. and 2900 W. at about 11 p.m. Tuesday.

Fire crews said they found smoke and flames coming out of the windows when they arrived.

The woman who lives in the home told authorities she had candles burning and she must have fallen asleep.

She said something woke her up and she was able to get out of the house.

“She believes, more than likely, that that’s what started the fire,” West Valley City Battalion Chief Chris Beichner said. “So just a reminder that if you’re getting tired, blow your candles out and also another reminder is let’s make sure we always have smoke detectors. She did not have any present. She was very fortunate that she woke up on her own but we need to have smoke detectors in every house.”

Fire crews said the flames caused significant damage inside the home, estimates are about $25,000.