Fire that displaced Taylorsville family possibly sparked by child playing with matches

Posted at 4:53 PM, Apr 01, 2015
and last updated 2015-04-01 18:53:09-04

TAYLORSVILE, Utah – Firefighters said a fire that displaced a family in Taylorsville may have burned more rapidly because residents broke windows to escape, and officials said they suspect a young child may have started the fire by accident.

Crews responded to a house fire in the area 2667 West Everwood Drive Wednesday around 7:30 a.m., and the structure was fully engulfed when crews arrived.

“In these cases, these basements hold so much heat that these fires tend to grow very rapidly, especially if there’s any kind of ventilation--and it appears that when the adults went out they had possibly broken some windows, causing some drafts to take place and potentially spread the fire a little quicker,” said Battalion Chief Brian Anderton of the Unified Fire Authority.

The adults and children made it out safely, though officials said the adults suffered from minor smoke inhalation injuries. The residents were displaced by the fire, which caused an estimated $125,000 in damages.

Anderton said they are still investigating, but he said investigators now suspect a 5-year-old child playing with matches in a basement bedroom caused the fire to break out. FOX 13 News will have more information as it becomes available.