Murray police make arrest in fatal convenience store shooting

Posted at 11:11 AM, Apr 15, 2015
and last updated 2015-04-16 00:08:21-04

MURRAY, Utah -- Murray police have arrested one of the suspects who they said was involved in the death of David Marsh, a convenience store clerk who was shot to death last month.

Mug shot: Alexis Alan Garcia

Mug shot: Alexis Alan Garcia

Police said they arrested 20-year-old Alexis Alan Garcia and booked him into jail Tuesday night.

Marsh, 62, had worked at the store, now called Lee Mart, for 25 years.

Shortly after the store opened on  March 18, two masked suspects ran in and forced Marsh to hand over all the cash in the register. As they fled, one of them fired a single gunshot, which hit Marsh in the torso.

Marsh died from his injuries four days later.

Police said they received tips from the public that Garcia may have been involved in the robbery and they matched Garcia's fingerprints with some prints found at the crime scene.

Police also received tips that tattoos on Garcia's hands matched tattoos that were seen on surveillance video of the incident.

"We had a lot of information from the public, a lot of tips," said Officer Kenny Bass of the Murray Police Department. "Through those tips, as well as finger print evidence that was found at the scene, and he has a couple of tattoos that were also evident on the surveillance video."

Officers obtained a search warrant for Garcia and his residence. According to a probable cause statement, police found .22-caliber rounds and and clothing items believed to be used in the robbery in Garcia's room.

Jimmy Lee, the son of the owner of the store, said they were glad a suspect is in custody.

"To be honest I was getting a little nervous," he said. "I didn't think they had any solid leads. We were just hearing rumors here and there."

Brent Trane, a friend of the victim, also spoke after the arrest.

"We've been very scared and kinda afraid to be in this community with the crime, but now it's a great day of relief that this has taken place and a breath of fresh air," he said.

Bass said they are still seeking a second suspect.

"It's a good step in the right direction, but there's still a long way to go," he said. "We still have another suspect to identify and apprehend as well."