Bullet grazes man’s back after early morning shooting in Sandy

Posted at 7:38 AM, Apr 19, 2015
and last updated 2015-04-19 23:15:19-04

SANDY, Utah -- A dispute between two motorists early Sunday morning ended with one man with a gunshot wound and the suspect still at large, according to police.

The incident began on Interstate 15 at 9000 South when two motorists got into an argument, according to a press release from Sandy police.

The victim, a 36-year-old man, and his three friends were returning home from a bar for the night around 4 a.m. The group exited I-15 at 90th South and was heading for a home in Sandy.

As they were stopped at a stoplight,  “Another vehicle pulled up alongside of them and began yelling at them,” said Sgt. Dean Carriger of the Sandy Police Department.

When the light turned green the group headed for a home about a block away from the freeway exit, and they parked in the driveway of the victim's home in the area of 161 W. Eastgate Drive, where the argument continued.

“...after a short period of time, the suspect pulled out a handgun and fired multiple rounds at the four men, striking the victim one time," Carriger said.

The injuries were minor. The release states the bullet grazed the victim’s back. He was transported to Intermountain Medical Center for treatment.

Mike lives nearby and spoke with FOX 13 News, saying the gunshots awoke him.

“Got woken up to gunshots, and at first I thought it was fireworks," he said. "And then I heard some people cussing, so I came outside to see what was going on."

Mike said the victim's injuries did not appear serious.

“He had a little spot on the shirt, but it didn't look like he was bleeding too bad, so I guess he didn't get hurt that bad," he said. "They said he was fine. He was released in like 45 minutes or so."

The suspect fled the area in his vehicle going east on Cottage Avenue.

Police describe the suspect as a Hispanic male in his 20s who was driving a silver SUV. Carriger said they are investigating and that it's too early to say whether or not this incident was a case of random road rage.

“At this point it's a little too early to speculate," Carriger said. "The investigation is really just getting started. We're not quite sure with the information that has been provided to us by the victim as well as witnesses as to whether this stemmed from a road rage incident or something earlier in the evening. We're just not sure at this point."

Authorities ask anyone with information about the incident to contact Sandy police.