Christina Lakey and Tammy Blankenship, the bloggers behind Food Apparel blog, show us a healthy recipe for a simple treat. For more from them, go here.
HEALTHY ENERGY BITES RECIPE AKA HEALTHY COOKIE DOUGH BALLS
• ½ cup peanut, cashew, or almond butter
• ½ cup ground flax seed (I prefer the golden)
• 1 cup oats, quick cooking or old fashioned
• ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• up to ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
• 2-4 tablespoons craisins, cocoa nibs, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, sunflower seeds, coconut
1. In a large bowl, mix nut butter, flax seed, oats, sweetener, vanilla, and cinnamon (optional).
2. Stir in your desired mix-ins.
3. With a small scoop or spoon, scoop out bites and roll into 1 tablespoon balls.
4. Refrigerate until hard and store in bag.
Dress it Up:
Add ¼ cup cocoa powder for a chocolate energy ball