Police: Homeowner stabbed during fight used suspect’s gun to wound 1 of 3 assailants

Posted at 7:40 AM, Aug 22, 2015

UINTAH COUNTY, Utah — A 51-year-old man is in critical but stable condition Saturday after he was allegedly stabbed several times during an altercation with several armed assailants who entered his home Friday morning, and police said the man was able to wrest control of a gun from one assailant long enough to fire several shots–injuring one of the suspects.

According to a press release from Uintah County Sheriff’s Office issued Saturday, police responded at about 7:40 a.m. to a home in the vicinity of 1000 South Vernal Avenue, where they found the injured man had made his way to a road to seek help.

The press release stated two adult males are in custody and a third male was being sought in connection with the stabbing, but later Saturday police stated all three men had been found and arrested.

Investigators believe the three men entered the residence and got into an altercation with the homeowner, and one suspect is believed to have been armed with a handgun and another with a sharp object. Uintah County Sheriff’s Office personnel said Saturday they were still investigating to determine whether or not the men forced entry into the home or were let in, and when asked if the homeowner knew the suspects prior to the altercation an officer said they could not comment on that aspect of the case at this time.

The homeowner suffered several stab wounds during the fight, and, “at some point, the homeowner gained control of the handgun and fired at least two shots, one of which struck one of the assailants in the leg,” according to the press release. The suspects fled after the individual was shot.

The homeowner was taken to Ashley Regional Medical Center for treatment, and as of Saturday he was listed as being in critical but stable condition and officials stated the man was able to speak with investigators.

The 21-year-old male shot during the altercation was treated at a hospital Friday for an injury described as being not life-threatening. He was later identified as 21-year-old Montana Stubbs of Vernal, and he is being held on aggravated burglary and aggravated assault charges.

A 25-year-old male suspect was taken into custody Friday evening, and after speaking with investigators the man was booked into the county jail on multiple felony charges. He was later identified as Lynn Richens of Vernal, and he is being held on charges of aggravated assault, aggravated burglary and possession of an explosive device.

The third suspect arrested is 23-year-old Kaden Chase Holmes of Vernal. He is being held on charges of aggravated burglary, aggravated assault and for several outstanding warrants.

Police secured several search warrants during their investigation, and two of the warrants were for residences in Uintah County. Police searched one residence and found “pipe bombs and other bomb making materials.” The devices were safely removed by a bomb squad early Saturday morning.

Officers from Vernal City and Naples City are assisting Uintah County Sheriff’s Office in the investigation. Personnel from the Attorney General’s Office and Utah Highway Patrol are also assisting the sheriff’s office with various aspects of the investigation, according to the press release.

“Law enforcement remained on scene until after midnight processing evidence as well as following up on other leads at multiple locations in Uintah County,” officials say.

More information will be released as it becomes available.