News

Actions

Magnesium, propane tanks ignite during Santaquin shed fire

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 10:49 PM, Oct 27, 2015
and last updated 2015-10-28 00:49:33-04

SANTAQUIN, Utah — Burning magnesium made it difficult for Santaquin fire crews to fight a shed fire Tuesday night.

At 8:22 p.m., fire crews responded to Center Street and 200 North on a wooden workshop/shed fire. Work was slowed by the magnesium found in engine blocks burning.

“When water is added to burning magnesium it reacts violently,” Santaquin City Fire stated on its Facebook page.

Propane tanks were also burning inside the shed.

No homes were involved but the shed was a total loss.

No injuries were reported. The fire is under investigation.