SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Attorney General’s Office has concluded its investigation into Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker’s re-election campaign.
In a statement on Friday, the attorney general’s office said it had a panel review a claim that Becker’s re-election campaign had been involved in improperly collecting primary election ballots. Ultimately, the attorney general’s office said it was declining to take action.
“A select panel of experienced Justice Division prosecutors independently assessed the investigators’ case, including investigative reports, documents and witness interviews. After each prosecutor on the panel had the opportunity to review the investigation, each agreed independently and collaboratively this case lacks a reasonable likelihood of conviction,” the office said in the statement. “Based on the aforementioned, the Justice Division within the Utah Attorney General’s Office is declining any further action at this time.”
The investigation was prompted by a complaint from former mayoral candidate and city councilman Luke Garrott, who accused the Becker campaign of improperly collecting primary election ballots at a rally. The Salt Lake City Attorney asked the Utah Attorney General’s Office to investigate to avoid any conflicts of interest.
The mayor’s campaign denied any wrongdoing.
“The Becker campaign is, of course, happy that this matter is resolved. We always felt we were on strong footing and our sole intent was to increase voter participation and engagement,” said Matt Lyon, campaign spokesman. “Going forward, those involved remain committed to encouraging and facilitating participation in the political process and will continue to do so within the confines of the law.”