Elisa Barber of The Baking Hive shares her recipe for an Australian favorite - Red Velvet Lamingtons. You can find more information about The Baking Hive here.
RED VELEVET LAMINGTONS
For the cake:
Creaming Ingredients: Dry Ingredients
3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar 1 1/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup Butter (soft) 1/4 Cup Corn starch/flour
4 Eggs 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Vanilla 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Red Food Coloring
2 Tablespoons Milk
1 teaspoon vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350 F., grease a 9'x13' rectangular pan and line with parchment paper.
2. Put all 'Creaming Ingredients' in stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment (on in a bowel and use a hand mixer or good old wooden spoon!). Cream until all ingredients are nice and smooth and creamy.
3. Measure all 'Dry Ingredients' into separate bowl, whisk together until evenly distributes; then gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed ingredients in the mixer.
4. Pour final and smooth batter into prepared pan, level and bake for 25-30 min or until an inverted knife comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool completely.
For the cream-cheese Icing:
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup powder sugar
1. Cream all ingredient in a bowel until smooth and creamy.
2. Once cake is cooled, cut into 20 squares, ice half the squares with icing and then sandwich another square on top so that icing in between the 2 layers of cake squares.
3 Set in fridge or freezer while you make the glaze
Chocolate Ganache Glaze:
In a microwave safe bowl heat 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream for 1 min or until hot. Add the 3/4 cup chocolate chips to this mixture and stir until chocolate chips melt and you have a nice, smooth ganache. Then add 2 Tablespoons of powder sugar or more to tasted. Mix until all ingredients are smooth.
1. Dip each chilled lamington square in the chocolate ganache glaze and then roll in a bowl filled with coconut.
2. Set each dipped and rolled lamination on a tray lined with parchment paper to set.
3. Once lamingtons are set you can enjoy!!