By: Chef Michael Eng from SOMI Vietnamese Bistro
Step 1: getting short ribs and vegetable
- Korean short rib (2lb slice 1/5 thick. May be purchased from Sam’s club or Asian supermarket with or without bone)
- English cucumber (1piece)
- romaine heart lettuce (1 head)
- bean sprouts (1/2 lb)
- daikon (1 piece)
- carrot (1 piece)
Step 2: marinade
- Oyster Sauce (32 Oz)
- Fish Sauce (2 Oz)
- Sugar (1/4 Cup)
- Honey (4.8 Oz)
- Chicken base (1/4 cup)
- Salt (1 Tsp)
- Lemongrass chop fine (1/3 Cup)
- Five Spice powder (1/4 Tsp)
- Yellow Onion (Ground) (2 Lbs)
- Shallot chop fine (1/4 Lbs)
- Garlic minced (1.5 Tsp)
- mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
Step 3: marination
- add 2 cups of marinade to 2lb of short rib and mix it well and let it sits in the refrigerator for 4-12 hours.
Step 4: Vinaigrette sauce
- Sugar (2 parts)
- Fish Sauce (1 Part)
- Vinegar (1 Part)
- Lime (1/4 Part)
- Coconut Water (1 Part)
- mix all ingredients together in a small jar. set it aside in a jar.
Step 5: Vermicelli Rice Noodles (get it from any Asian supermarket)
- Noodles (1 bag 14.1oz) boiled for 4-6 minutes.
- 2-quart pot, fill water to half and bring it to boiling and add Vermicelli into and stir often too prevent the noodles from sticking tenth pot
- remove noodles from the pot and chill it with cold water and drain well.
Step 6: grilling
- turn on a grill to 350F
- grill the marinated short rib 3-5 minutes each side
- remove it from the grill and let it rest for 3-5 minutes
Step 7: plating
- plate all cooked items onto the plate and it’s ready to serve.