News

Actions

Crews say barbecue grill to blame as family displaced, cats killed after fire in Sandy

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 8:55 PM, May 29, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-29 22:55:39-04

SANDY, Utah – A structure fire caused an estimated $300,000 in damage and killed two pets Sunday, and firefighters say a barbecue is to blame.

Fire crews responded to the area of 8400 South Grambling Way in Sandy Sunday afternoon.

When firefighters arrived, the side of the house was engulfed in flames. Firefighters said the homeowner was grilling on his deck when the grill flashed and lit the home on fire.

Crews knocked down the flames before they spread to the attic.

The family of four was displaced by the blaze, which also claimed the lives of two cats.