News

Actions

4-year-old boy dies in Ogden house fire; blaze believed to be accidental

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 8:16 AM, Jun 26, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-27 17:29:19-04

OGDEN, Utah -- A 4-year-old boy has died and his mother is in critical condition after a house fire in Ogden Sunday.

Kimberly Gaspa and her son, 4-year-old Ryder Gaspa. - Ogden Police

Kimberly Gaspa and her son, 4-year-old Ryder Gaspa. - Ogden Police

Ogden Police identified the 4-year-old boy as Ryder Gaspa and his mother, who remains in critical condition, is 28-year-old Kimberly Gaspa.

You can help the family pay funeral costs and medical bills by donating here.

Ogden fire and police were dispatched to the structure fire, 225 29th Street, at 12:29 a.m. After evacuating the home, responding officers learned two occupants remained in the house, according to a press release from Ogden police.

When fire crews arrived on scene, police said there was smoke coming from the basement, according to Ogden fire.

Firefighters went into the basement and found a 28-year-old woman and her 4-year-old son unconscious.  They were taken outside and CPR was started on both victims, according to fire officials.

"Ogden City Fire Marshal Kevin Brown believes the fire was started by the young boy who had been playing with a butane torch, which ignited a mattress inside the basement apartment of the home," the release states.

"I heard them all screaming," said a neighbor who wished to remain anonymous.

That neighbor said the 28-year-old mother lived underneath her sister. She said both had two kids, and that one of the 28-year-old mom's kids was upstairs when the fire broke out. She said she ran to the house when she saw it was on fire and found the three kids outside.

"I asked the kids if they wanted blankets, and like five minutes later, I heard them all screaming," the neighbor said. "That's when they brought the sister and little boy out."

The mother and son were taken to area hospitals. The child died shortly after his arrival and the woman has severe burns and is listed in critical condition.

The medical examiner believes the child's cause of death was accidental and resulted from smoke and soot inhalation, the release states.

Damage to the home is estimated to be $30,000.

The fire is currently under investigation. More information will be provided as it becomes available.