- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced, any color
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 large zucchinis, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 cups green or red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt (optional)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large skillet up to medium high heat, add oil. Saute onion, pepper and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add ground beef, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook until browned, breaking up with a spoon. Drain.
Scoop out some of the inside flesh of the zucchini to form “boats”. Place them skin down in a 13×9 inch greased baking dish, Scoop the ground beef mixture into the “boat” part of the zucchini. Evenly pour the enchilada sauce over the filled zucchini boats. Top with with shredded cheddar cheese; cover with foil. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Remove the tin foil from the pan. Bake for another 5 minutes uncovered.
Garnish with tomatoes, cilantro and green onion. Serve immediately with sour cream or Greek yogurt, if using.