For the Pesto:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, reserve 8-10 leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
For the Pizzas:
- 2 French bread loaves, split widthwise
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced
- 10 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
Heat oven to 425 F degrees.
For the pesto, place all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Blend until all ingredients are pureed.
For the pizzas, lay bread cut side up on a baking sheet. Spread desired amount of pesto on the cut side of each bread slice. (Note: extra pesto can be refrigerated in a sealed container for 4-5 days.)
Lay tomato slices on top of pesto; about 4-6 slices per each French bread half. Add mozzarella slices; about 3-4 slices of mozzarella per half. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown. Tear remaining basil leaves on top of loaves for garnish. Cut into slices; serve immediately.